iDevice users are probably aware of the Cydia- biggest application repository besides Apple’s own repository. Basically, you need to jailbreak your iDevice with the famous jailbreaking tools like redsn0w, sn0wbreeze, greenp0ison, JailbreakMe etc which also installs Cydia for you. Cydia is a repository aggregator from where you can download and install app on your iDevice (biggest repositories are BigBoss and Modmyi…there are plenty of other examples).
MetroPack for Windows Phone
MetroPack for Windows Phone has been designed on the similar fundamental. Unlike Cydia, MetroPack will run as a standalone desktop client. In short and simple word you can install the application from your desktop, but not mobile. Currently, this project is in initial development stage. You should not expect it to host any of the application; it only aims to provide an easier way to distribute homebrew application.
MetroPack is also not a jailbreak tool, neither it encourages to jailbreak your Windows Phone. Only developer-unlocked devices either using AppHub subscription and chevronwp7 lab users will be able to take full advantage of this tool. According to us this is a major drawback of this tool. Microsoft should not have made unlocking official. Apple fought hard to stop Cydia and other jailbreaking tools from jailbreaking iOS device which created too much fuss. Technology enthusiasts were eager to try out Cydia apps by jailbreaking their device. Microsoft should follow the same formula “Controversy creates the money”. It also encourages the developer and normal users to try out such product.
MetroPack is just another XAP downloader and deployer. We have already discussed a way to download XAP file directly from the marketplace. It is upto users or developers to verify the trust worthiness of the resource you’re using.
Here are some of the current features.
- Ability to deploy XAP packages to the connected device.
- Ability to check linked repositories for updates. [in development]
- Categorize repositories for easy navigation.
- Provide a repository directory, where users can check existing repositories without the need to search for those.
- Package search (from the client). [in development]
- Featured packages (for promotional purposes).
- Decentralized package storage – each package can be stored in a separate location, and as long as it is linked in the repository (with the correct URL), it can be downloaded.
- Perform OS version checks before installation to ensure compatibility. [in development]
Here are the planned capabilities
- Check the device maker to ensure hardware compatibility.
- Phone-based application for package installation.
- Web-sync for repository list (easier access to the same repository base from any PC).
- Download statistics for developers.
Developer is also asking enthusiasts like you to suggest him the feature you would like to see in MetroPack. We’re pretty excited about this project at this moment. We would like to know your views about this project.
It would have been much more useful in case we have an easy (read free) way to jailbreak our Windows Phone. Microsoft needs to change some of the tactics to compete with Apple.
Src [XDA]Tags: cydia, metropack