DFT team, which is known for their feat of providing custom ROM for WP, are back in the scene again. Samsung first generation device users can now enjoy fully unlocked Windows Phone OS on their device using DFT Sammy Rainbow custom ROM. In order to cook the Sammy Rainbow you need MAGLDR 2.00, a custom bootloader from DFT team, which comes along with it. In layman’s term, MAGLDR custom bootloader makes flashing ROM on your device tad easy for you.
- Samsung Focus Rev 1.3
- Samsung Focus Rev 1.4
- Samsung Omnia 7
Samsung Omnia W and Focus S are second generation handsets. Those device owner should not attempt install Sammy Rainbow on their device.
Why should you Flash your device
Note: Before moving onto flashing the firmware on your device, you should understand that flashing your device with custom ROM may void your warranty or brick your device in worst case.
Flashing Sammy Rainbow will give you a full root access to your device, so far only HTC device has had the capability of install ROM. There are plenty of advantage to have custom ROM flashed onto your device. It will allow you to run native application, custom cabs and install the XAP files directly using IE. Basically, you can enjoy Cydia like Bazaar app, private marketplace, opera mobile web browser and many more stuff on your device. Apart from that all the interop unlocked applications along with registry editors will give a whole lot of options to tweak your handset functionality.
How to Install Sammy Rainbow
Disclaimer: We haven’t tried this personally. The whole procedure/tutorial is provided by WidnowsPhoneHacker team (here). All the credit goes to them.
- First thing first, backup your device so you can revert back to stock firmware if anything goes wrong.
- Download DFT MAGLDR installer (DMLI) to install MAGLDR bootloader on your device
- Search and download Samsung USB Driver
- Long press power button and switch off your device
- Now make sure your device is not connected to computer. Hold Volume Up+ Camera+ Power button for few seconds until it shows Download Mode
- Connect your device to your computer
- Run MAGLDR setup to use custom bootloader on your device
- When you device boots back up, hold Volume Down+ Camera+ Power until it asks for format. Make sure you’re pressing Power Down button instead of Up button.
- Press back button from your device
- Let all drivers get installed by connecting your phone to computer
- Run custom ROM setup
- Boot back into Format mode and press Start twice
That’s it. Next time when you see your device, it will be running on custom Sammy rainbow ROM.